The cool thing about the 3 year-old league is that the practice is immediately before the game. So no mid-week practice sessions (yet), and it's just for about an hour on Saturday mornings.
This being our first foray into team sports, we were a little unsure about how Ethan would do. Would he be selfish with the ball? Upset when it doesn't come his way? Or would he attempt to boss around the other players?
Really, as long as he had fun and didn't get hurt, I would consider the morning a "win."
It turned out that the game could not have gone better. Ethan took to everything like cleats to turf. In the practice drills, he followed the coach very well and waited his turn in the drills:
During the game, he had a few good breaks and came very close to scoring a goal. He loved running after the ball and also got to throw in the ball from the sidelines a few times:
After the first half, we took a break to get re-hydrated. I took a break too - I was running crazy trying to catch up with him!
In the final period Ethan played goalie and did a great job. He stopped two attempts and quickly got the ball back in play. Though no one scored on him, when we asked if he liked playing goalie, Ethan replied, "No, I like to run and kick the ball."
In the end, I think we won the first game. There's so much pandemonium, it's hard to tell what the score is at any given point in time. Ethan is definitely one of the stars of the team - he had great focus and loved playing the game. When we told him that he would get to play again the next Saturday, he was so excited - like "again?! I get to do this more?!". Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment